So, you’re planning on purchasing a beautiful new pet? The idea of being able to live with a fury friend is an exciting prospect. However, no matter what type of animal it is, be it a dog, cat, bird, if you are living in an Owners Corporation property, you will be subject to strata approval before you are able to keep a pet.
Most Owners Corporation communities have specific by-laws which put specific conditions on animal visitors and residents. This is to enhance the enjoyment and occupation of those residents in the community and to ensure that your pet does not become a nuisance to anyone.
No one wants to give up their pet but on the other hand, no one wants to live in a noisy, unruly Strata community. Owners Corporations have to achieve a balance with strata pet applications.
Below, we share with you 6 tips to consider for pet ownership in strata living.
6 Tips to consider for Pet Ownership in Strata Living:
- Pet alone time: How long will your pet be left alone for in the day? How will your animal cope? How will you ensure your animal will feel settled and content when alone?
- Pet outdoor space: Will your pet have access to outdoor space? If there is little to no space for your pet to exercise will this be an issue? If so, your pet may need to be taken out regularly to exercise.
- Pets noise level: How will you ensure your animals noise eg. bark, meow, chirping, whining, level is low to not disturb Neighbours. What will your pet’s noise transfer be like?
- Pet toiletry requirement: What are your pet’s toileting requirements? How will you keep your lot clean? How will you clean up after your animal in a way to not disturb Neighbours.
- Pet living space requirement: Consider how much living space your pet needs. Different animals have different requirements for living space. Different breeds have different personalities and requirements for living space.
- Common Property: Be wary with your pet in common property areas. Keep your pet under control and minimize confrontation with other people and pets.
Process for Applying For A Pet Approval:
The process applying for a pet in a Strata scheme involves submitting a pet application form. In the form you will be required to outline details of the pet including age, breed, insurance etc. After this form has been completed it will be submitted and you will be approved by most commonly the owners of the lot and committee.
At SSKB applying for pet applications is made quick and easy! You simply create an online form that can be filled out and signed digitally.
You can also download, fill out, sign and submit a pet application through our SSKB App. You can do this wherever you are whenever you want. We’ve invested in an app to ensure you receive hassle free strata management.
As the holiday season has just passed, if you are considering purchasing a new pet, and you live in a strata scheme, make sure to click on the form below for NSW pet application form.
As mentioned, each strata scheme has different by-laws regarding pets so you must ensure you read your own schemes by laws. If you aren’t able to find these by-laws your community manager will be able to provide this information.
Renting With Pets in Strata
- Check out the legislation: https://www.nsw.gov.au/housing-and-construction/strata/living/pets#:~:text=Are%20pets%20allowed%20in%20strata,other%20residents%20in%20your%20scheme.
When authorization has been granted to keep your pet, that is granted to a specific Felix or Fido. It’s important to note it doesn’t apply to additional or replacement pets. Consequently, any new pet you may buy will be required to ‘audition’ and be approved. Furthermore, if any conditions are breached the Committee can rescind its permission.
At SSKB, we’re dedicated to supporting you and your community to achieve the best possible outcome. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact your Community Manager today.