Who's Responsible For Pest Control in a Body Corporate - SSKB - Strata Managers | Community Experts

Who’s Responsible For Pest Control in a Body Corporate

Who Is Responsible For Pest Control In a Body Corporate

Summer is on its way and the insects are out in force.

So, who is responsible for pest control?

The simple answer is the body corporate is generally responsible for any pest inspection, prevention and treatment work on common property.

A lot owner is responsible for any pest inspection and treatment work that is needed within their lot.

Sometimes body corporate communities can enjoy cost effective pest control if both common property and inside lots are treated at the same time.

The costs of ignoring pest control can be devastating, especially with ‘hidden’ pests such as termites which can cause catastrophic damage which is expensive to repair and possibly not covered by insurance.

If pest control in your community covers common property only, it is wise as well as responsible to get regular pest treatment and inspection inside your lot.

Should you find a pest infestation in your lot that may impact the common property, let your committee know so they can arrange for a pest inspection.

Taking a proactive approach can reduce the risk of pests making your holiday season miserable.

  • Keep any areas where food is prepared & eaten free of food particles and waste. This is particularly important for outdoor common property areas such as picnic benches and barbecues
  • Remove any decaying timber (to prevent nesting sites for snakes, mice, rats and other pests).
  • Keep bins closed and empty them when they are full.
  • Keep common areas clean and tidy to prevent rodents and inspects from gathering
  • Advise owners of termite risks such as wood chips in garden beds, keeping garden beds away from external walls, removing old timber, cardboard or newspapers and avoiding accumulation of rubbish that may attract termites.

Consider the following ways to avoid insect infestation:

  • Repair and keep premises clean. Especially where crumbs and food may collect.
  • Repair any leaks beneath the sink and by sink top as ants and roaches will gather here.
  • Continue regular pest inspections and always use a licensed, qualified pest technician.
  • Make sure you take any recommended necessary preventative action.

Related post

The 5 Sources of Life
The 5 Sources of Life
Executing Your Life Vision
Executing Your Life Vision
How Are You Utilising Your Balcony Space
How Are You Utilising Your Balcony Space?

Recent Comments


Ivan On December 7, 2017 | Reply

The best thing is for the committee to agree that the body corporate will pay for pest inspections INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY, as the roof voids are usually part of the body corporate but the access is usually from an internal unit. This can easily be done at a committee meeting or at an AGM.
Termite treatments are usually the body corporate domain as they come from the SUBFLOOR, which again is part of the common areas and to stop the ingress into units, and external perimeter is usually compulsory even though they are manifesting in the interior of the unit. Same thing goes for RODENTS; BIRDS/Bird lice . However, fleas, roaches, spiders, weevils, etc are usually introduced or at least its presence caused by the occupant of the dwelling thus, making it his responsibility to pay for the pest control.
Hope this helps..
been doing pest control services for 25 years in two states.
Ivan L

terry troy lot 42 On December 7, 2017 | Reply

how often should we have it done being a owner

Jana ruzicka On December 20, 2017 | Reply

So please whom should we report the ants

    SSKB On January 16, 2018 | Reply

    Let your body corporate know of an issue with ants and take action to deal with the ants which enter your lot.

Alison On December 24, 2017 | Reply

How does the body corporate get round the issue of paying for something that is the owners responsibility to take care of? I thought I read it was against corporate law to pay for maintenance that was the owners responsibility?
Thanks in advance for your wisdom

    SSKB On January 16, 2018 | Reply

    The owner is responsible for pest control within the lot, while the body corporate is responsible for common areas.

    The body corporate might arrange for pest treatment and recommend that lot owners provide access for internal treatment, but the cost to treat the inside of a lot is borne by the lot owner.

    In Queensland, S169 Standard Module provides for the body corporate to undertake works on behalf of owners and charge them for it, with prior agreement from the owner.

Cleaningmate On November 21, 2018 | Reply

Great information!! I really enjoy reading this blog information. Thanks for sharing this blog information.

John cairnd On February 2, 2019 | Reply

Is the front of the buildings common property and the area inside the owners fence exclusive use for termites.? What does the dotted lines around the units on building units plan mean?
Getting different advice on this

Sakuko. On July 13, 2019 | Reply

Would you be able to Inform us ; by Contacting all of the pest controll REGISTETED companies IN CAIRNS. Qld .
If they have & there are any RECORDS OF any Pest controll contracts or Work Performed For TCM STRATA COMPANY ON A 30 unit building at 186 – 222 LAKE Str. CAIRNS NORTH.QUEENSLAND .BECAUSE FOR THE MANY YEARS WE HAVE HAD A MASIVE INFESTATIONS IN OUR units on groud floor : of RODENTS; COCROACHES coming out from open sewer lines , all kinds of Ants & other creatures making it Impossible to live there in the our Units

matt On September 26, 2019 | Reply

I am on the BC Committee in a Town House complex of 45 units. the BC Committee has voted 3 to 1 in favour of the BC paying for all lot owners townhouses to be inspected out of the sinking fund. Is this lawful? I have been given advice and read advice that besides the common property the owner has to wear the cost and what fines are applicable for misusing funds to pay for a service the owner should be paying for?

Melissa-Ann McLean On December 16, 2019 | Reply

Curious, have just purchased a strata unit and discovered mice in the ceiling and walls. None in the actual unit. The strata pest report came back clear as did my pest inspection report. Anyway, wondering if the ceiling void and wall cavities are “structure” therefore covered under the body corporate.
I want the matter dealt with but makes sense to me that the entire complex would need treating so to go ahead and have the pest people in myself would probably be a waste of money if the other 11 townhouses and common area arent being treated and preventative action being taken.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.