What Does My Body Corporate Insurance Policy Cover? - SSKB - Strata Managers | Community Experts

What Does My Body Corporate Insurance Policy Cover?


Many owners are unaware of their responsibility in relation to insurance cover when they purchase a lot that forms part of a body corporate.

Questions that I am frequently asked by my bodies corporate are:

  1. What does my body corporate Insurance Policy Cover?
  2. What items in my unit do I need to insure?

The information provided below should assist with your insurance queries.

If your building is insured by the body corporate, the policy will cover the full replacement value of the building structure, including:

  • improvements and fixtures;
  • common area contents; and
  • underground services erected upon the block forming part of the strata plan.

The building cover includes:

  • fences;
  • toilets;
  • baths;
  • basins;
  • shower screens;
  • sinks;
  • cook tops;
  • ducted air conditioners;
  • bench tops;
  • built-in cupboards;
  • windows;
  • doors; and
  • fixed tiling.

If your building has wallpaper in the common areas, paintwork or light fittings this would also form part of the building cover.

The common area contents include:

  • carpets within a hallway, entrance or lobby;
  • mirrors;
  • indoor and outdoor furniture;
  • barbecue equipment;
  • pot plants; and

washing machines and dryers owned by the body corporate which are housed on common property for the use of all residents in the scheme.

The following items are not covered under the strata policy and owners must take out individual cover over these items:

  • carpets;
  • light fittings;
  • mobile or fixed air conditioning;
  • internal window coverings;
  • Furniture;
  • household appliances (e.g. dishwashers); and
  • valuables and personal equipment.

In New South Wales personal contents does include:

  • wall paper;
  • paint;
  • temporary wall; and
  • floor and ceiling coverings within a lot.

For more information on insurance please refer to the Department of Justice and Attorney-General website

Related post

What is the Difference Between a Community Manager and a Building Manager?
Changes to BCCM Regulation – What You Need to Know
Understanding Terminology in a Meeting

Recent Comments


cesare On July 10, 2012 | Reply

Just like to know in a residential block if there is a burst water pipe in and intrenal wall between two units and one unit has some water damage, who would be responsiable for the cost or repair, the body corp or the unit owner with the damage, or the other unit owner that has no damage but the water pipes mite belong to that unit. Could you please give me some info to my email address thank you

    Chelsey On July 12, 2012 | Reply


    Thanks for your question. To give you an appropriate response i would need to clarify which state you are in, as the legislative requirements differ. It would also depend on whether the pipe services one or both units. Please let me know so we can help you with the right answer!

Karin klein On November 24, 2012 | Reply

Please advise if a shower recess that is leaking and needs replacement of walls and recess would be covered by bc insurance

Karin klein On November 24, 2012 | Reply

The shower question is in reference to Vic legislation

David Hadley On February 2, 2013 | Reply


We are buying a townhouse in Queensland and there has been a water leak in the unit. I believe its from the upstairs balcony and run down the wall through the coving into the downstairs.
The current owners have said the body corp said its not covered by them but I would have thought it would have been. The leak is not bad and we have a clause for inspections but really want to but the unit but with some sort of certainty in who is responsible for what. Hope you can help. Thank you David

    Chelsey On February 6, 2013 | Reply

    Hi David,

    You need to determine if it is classed as a Building Format or Standard Format. Check the plans and in the bottom right hand corner it will state which, these are part of the CMS (Community Management Statement) and the seller will have a copy or you can obtain one yourself from State Government Land Centre (cost about $20). If it is a Standard Format it’s your problem, however if a Building Format it could be either. I hope this helps, if you have any further questions head to http://www.livinginstrata.com.au and post on the forum!

John gleaden On March 17, 2013 | Reply


Can anyone tell me if our balcony is covered by body corporate insurance? Everyone it rains the paint on the balcony roof keeps falling off.

Hope someone can help.

Eric On June 2, 2013 | Reply

would i be able to proceed with a purchase of townhouse, without vendor providing current body corporate building insurance details, specially buying at an auction. thanks in advance.

marco On June 28, 2013 | Reply

hi, I would like to no if the ceiling of a bedroom has fallen down form water damage in the roof,will it be covered from the body corporation, vic, melb, thank you

Lisa Moloney On July 3, 2013 | Reply

Reply from: Community Manager, Fran Welsh (VIC)

Yes. If the internal ceiling has collapsed due to water damage in the roof it is classed as resultant damage and covered by the Owners Corporation.

Lisa Moloney On July 12, 2013 | Reply

Reply from Community Manager, Jacqueline Engman (QLD)

Hi James,
Generally maintenance of an improvement to a lot by a lot owner is not considered the Body Corporate’s responsibility to repair, maintain or insure.

However, your Body Corporate insurance may have an allowance in the policy for lot owners’ improvements, which may cover the damage to your roller shutters, if the damage was caused by an insurable event.

It is recommended that you contact your Body Corporate insurance brokers / insurer to discuss what has happened and whether it is recommended that you submit a claim.

John On February 19, 2014 | Reply


My neighbor keeps complaining about a rat issue in her roof which is connected to mine. My tenant has not complained as yet. I have had professionals inspect and they have stated that there are gaps in the roof that are allowing them to enter and also a tree which hangs onto our roof. Can we make a claim through body corp to repair the roof?

The property is only 24monthes old. Set of 4 units under body corp.

    SSKB On February 27, 2014 | Reply

    Hi John

    Unfortunately this isn’t a straight forward answer.

    If there is a manager then the response is to simply contact them.

    If not, and there are only 4 lots, then you are the “body corp” – or ¼ of it anyway.

    Is the roof common property? If it is then yes it is a “body corp” responsibility to fix it if it has gaps. But then the building is only 24 months old and if the gaps are a latent defect then the builder should fix them.

    You’ve mentioned “claim” so perhaps you’re thinking insurance – that being the case you should contact the insurer. However if there are gaps in the roof then that will not be an “insurable event”. Any damage the rat does would be, though.

    Sorry its not a simply answer but I hope it helps.

Trish On March 10, 2014 | Reply

Hi there. Could you please clarify if in NSW the Body Corporate insurance covers bathrom tiles inside a unit? Thanks.

    SSKB On March 10, 2014 | Reply

    Hi Trish,

    Unfortunately we cannot give you a definitive answer, as a variety of factors will determine whether it is, or isn’t, the responsibility of the body corporate insurer, e.g., How did the damage occur? What type of tiles? And where are they located?

    You should contact your body corporate insurer with all the details.

    Sorry we couldn’t provide you with a simple answer, but I hope we helped you a little bit.

      Trish On March 11, 2014 | Reply

      Thank you for your reply. It was helpful.

Lyn On July 7, 2015 | Reply

I have just found out that I would be responsible for a cracked pipe behind the shower recess as that wall adjoins another wall in my property. Unlike my next door neighbour who had a cracked pipe but was covered by OC insurance as it adjoined another apartment. My current contents policy won’t cover yet I was told I couldn’t get building insurance in a strata scheme. So how do I obtain cover?

My strata have also told me that fixtures such as toilets, ovens etc (installed when building erected) are NOT covered by OC insurance. Yet my insurance company now tells me they are not covered under contents – in spite of someone else there last year suggesting I increase my coverage to cover those items!
I am very frustrated, to say the least. Can you help?

    SSKB On July 9, 2015 | Reply

    Hi Lyn,

    Unfortunately SSKB are not legally permitted to give insurance advice, however we’re happy to refer someone who can. Andrew Hinz at IAGB is available to answer insurance queries, you can contact him on (07) 3630 1823.

matt On July 16, 2016 | Reply

Hi, not sure if anyone is still reviewing this thread? We have a cracked seat of a tap in our ensuite that will likely require some of the wall to be ripped out to be repaired. Would this typically be covered by body corporate insurance? We live in QLD. Thanks

    SSKB On July 19, 2016 | Reply

    Hi Matt,

    Generally speaking, there are a number of factors which will determine whether this will be covered under insurance, including the type of registration of the scheme you reside in, the cause of the damage and the insurance excess. We would recommend you contact your strata manager who can query this direct with your body corporate’s insurance broker for specific insurance advice.

Joy Pearce On August 7, 2016 | Reply

live in a over 55 unit in Perth WA my roof has been leaking and the ceiling in the laundry has started to get damaged, the body corporate called in their handy man who seems to be the guy who does maintenance, he climbed onto the roof and said he could not find any cracked tiles , there is a ducted air conditioner on the roof and he thinks the flashing on the air conditioner has started to deteriorate, can you please tell me is the flashing classed as being part of the roof and covered by the strata insurance or is this my responsibility to get it replaced.
Hope you can help,
Joy Pearce.

    SSKB On August 8, 2016 | Reply

    Hello Joy,
    Unfortunately SSKB does not operate in Western Australia and we cannot directly advise you. We recommend that you contact your insurer for clarification and, if you need further information, suggest contacting the Western Australian Department of Commerce.

Liz On February 15, 2017 | Reply


I am a tenant in QLD and am unable to get any clear answers from the complex manager about getting damage to my car repaired from body corp insurance, as the damage occured when my car was parked in my carport and had a large palm tree branch fall on it.
Am I able to put in a claim or do I leave it to the complex manager??

    SSKB On February 16, 2017 | Reply

    Hi Liz,

    Body corporate insurance does not generally cover damage to cars. Unfortunately, this would have to be claimed through your car insurance policy.

    Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

    – SSKB

Nick On March 3, 2017 | Reply

Hi, NSW Renter here.
I’ve just, (7 weeks), moved into a 2bed 1″garage” villa in a complex of 10. Being as I work 65+ hours a week, I haven’t had a lot of time to unpack boxes. The rental agent came for an inspection on Tuesday and decided that because there were boxes in the spare room and the garage, that constituted “Clutter” and I was in breach of my Tenancy and had 7 days to rectify the clutter or face termination.
Complicating matters is the fact that on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday there has been heavy rain in Sydney. this resulted in my garage being flooded out, with water coming down 2 internal walls and under the door. Resulting in significant damage to both my possessions and the lot.

Long story short; Can I make a claim against Strata or Body Corporate insurance for replacement of lost property without being vengefully terminated by the Agent?

Tina On March 15, 2017 | Reply

We have a unit in our block that has a dripping cold water tap in the kitchen. The tap is simply dripping into the kitchen sink. There is no water damage anywhere and this is not in any way affecting any other unit. The plumber has been out to investigate and has advised that changing the taps will not fix the problem. He advised that the part behind the wall that the taps screw into needs to be replaced. This part services the individual unit lot owners taps only. The plumber has described it as being located in the inner skin of the external wall. Can you please advise if this repair is the responsibility of the owner or body corporate. Thank you

    SSKB On March 23, 2017 | Reply

    Hi Tina,

    This will depend on if your scheme is governed by a Standard Format Plan (SFP) or Building Format Plan (BFP). If you are in a SFP scheme, the repairs are the owner’s responsibility. If you are in a BFP scheme, the responsibility can fall on to the body corporate however it depends on a number of factors, including what is on the other side of the wall and whether it is an internal or external wall. It’s hard to be able to comment on your specific situation without further detail but if you are able to raise this issue with your strata committee and/or strata manager, they should be able to advise you of how to proceed in this specific situation. Feel free to give us a call on (07) 5504 2000 if we can be of further assistance.

Michelle On March 21, 2017 | Reply

Hello, I live in a 24 unit 2-story townhouse in Glen Huntly, VIC. Which I purchased 6 months ago. Built in the 70’s they have flat sheet roofs which several plumbers have advised are not well designed and prone to flooding during sudden storms. As a result of yesterday’s heavy deluge storm water entered via a split membrane surrounding one of the skylights and caused damage to the ceilings and walls of both floors. The OC has advised that the roof is not common property and I am therefore responsible for all the repairs. I only have contents insurance as the OC fees pay for the building insurance. At the time of purchase, I was not advised that I would also need individual roof insurance and I am getting conflicting opinions from OC Committee Members. Everyone I’ve spoken to has said that you can’t claim against two building insurances so I am now more confused than ever. Would appreciate your advice.

    SSKB On March 23, 2017 | Reply

    Hi Michelle,

    In order for us to give advice on your situation, we would need further information regarding your insurance policy and the building’s plan of subdivision. Our Victorian Community Manager Holly would be more than happy to discuss this with you in further detail if you wish – she can be contacted at (03) 8641 6555.

    Kind regards,


Leah harris On March 31, 2017 | Reply

Hi. Our townhouse in Queensland (circa 80s) had water running down above the garage door. The plumber arranged by our agent said it was a leaking toilet tap upstairs and the flashing. The townhouses (20) in this complex are joined by 2s so the guttering spans both townhouses. Is some or all of this claimable via the body corporate? As far as I know it has already been fixed and I am awaiting the account. Thank you. Leah

    SSKB On May 18, 2017 | Reply


    Thank you for your query.

    As we do not have a copy of your insurance policy we are unfortunately unable to provide you with a definitive answer, but we would always recommend that you submit a claim to your Body Corporate/Insurance Brokers and let the Insurance Company make the decision.

Jim Abernethy On April 4, 2017 | Reply

Just visited this site as I was trying to understand the responsibility of owners vs body corporate in a situation where a Standard Format Plan (Town Houses) QLD exists. But in my case I am looking at the dual town houses which are joined by a common wall. That is the Town Houses are not free standing but share a common wall and roof with another Town House. The question relates to insurances. Should the body corporate be responsible for building insurance or should the BC ?

    SSKB On May 18, 2017 | Reply

    In QLD under the Standard Format Plan the body corporate must insure (for the full replacement value) each building that shares a wall with another building (known as a common wall).

Shannon On June 12, 2017 | Reply

Good morning

I own a unit in Qld and have just noticed the carpet is wet that backs onto the bathroom there is no visable leak so I’m assuming it’s leaking through the wall. Is this the responsibility of body corporate or me as the owner to fix?

    SSKB On June 13, 2017 | Reply

    The repairs to fix a leak are at the owners expense. The resultant damage caused by the leak may claimable against the body corporate insurance. We recommend that you engage a plumber to investigate and repair and, depending on the damage, decide whether to submit a claim.

    It is important to note that carpet is an exclusion on the BC policy and any damage to the carpet would be claimable through the contents insurance.

Jules On June 30, 2017 | Reply

Last year there was a leak on the carport roof. Body Corporate is not responsible for that so I had a handyman clog the leak and cover the roof with a light aluminin panel. Just today Body Cotporate has emailed me with a letter saying the pillar holding up the carport roof has partly fallen due to age and deteriation. Are they liable for the repair of the pillar?

Shelley On September 15, 2017 | Reply

Hi there, I would like to know if a Body Corps property has flooded my neighbouring property and they left it unfixed for sometime and my property just kept filling with water, what is there obligation to fix my damage?

    SSKB On September 19, 2017 | Reply

    Hello Shelley,
    The Body Corporate is required to repair and maintain common property. You should consider lodging a claim on your insurance policy for damage to your property. The Body Corporate should consider doing the same for repairs that may be required to common property. We recommend that you discuss this matter further with your Body Corporate Manager or Committee.

Brendan Murnane On January 24, 2018 | Reply

I would like to know if you live in a duel occupancy townhouse, sharing just one common wall and sharing common ground between the footpath to your respective garages (i.e drive way), is Body Corporate required.
Or is it sufficient that both owners of the dual occs have their own respective building and household insurances.
no common equipment at all.
So its the common wall between the dwelling and drive way at front of property.

    SSKB On February 5, 2018 | Reply

    Hello Brendan,
    If the building is registered with the QLD Department of Natural Resources as a Community Title Scheme (CTS) it is a Body Corporate. A CTS is a method of titling and subdividing land and/or buildings, such that multiple Lots are created according to a Community Management Statement (CMS). The CMS describes the number of Lots, By-Laws of the Scheme, any Exclusive Use allocated to a Lot, and the Regulation Module that applies to the Body Corporate. The Regulation Module will determine what insurance coverage the Body Corporate is required to provide. Once you know the Regulation Module, we recommend you seek professional advice from your insurance company/agent/broker, and familiarise yourself with the details of the insurance policy your Body Corporate has purchased – this can be obtained from your body corporate manager.

Stacey On February 28, 2018 | Reply

Hi, I am a townhouse owner in a body corporate in QLD in a cts scheme, we have water leaking from our ensure shower into our kitchen ceiling downstairs, it is apparently a common issue with our complex and how heard mixed feedback as to where it is covered by the body corporate , we have regrouted but it appears that WV waterproofing has failed, is this our responsibility or the body Corp, their building insurance or our contents?

    SSKB On March 8, 2018 | Reply

    Hello Stacey,
    It would appear that your issue is an owner responsibility.

    Here is the relevant information from the legislation:
    157 Duties of body corporate about common property—Act, 152 [SM, s 159]
    (c) the owner of the lot is responsible for maintaining the tray of a shower that services the lot, whether or not the tray forms part of the lot.

    Any resultant damage may be covered by insurance and would depend on what is damaged as to who’s insurance would cover it. If it is carpets and contents that is an owner responsibility. If it is walls it is the body corporate’s responsibility. Depending on the age of the building, you may wish to raise the issue with the builder.

Lina On May 15, 2018 | Reply

Who owns the building wall outside my courtyard and the seal from my window has come off and has created a lot of mould in the double glazed window and damp concrete floors.

    SSKB On June 20, 2018 | Reply

    Hi Lina,
    To provide a precise answer we would need to understand the plan under which your Lot is registered, ie a Building Format Plan (BFP) where, generally speaking, maintenance would be a Body Corporate responsibility, or a Standard Format Plan (SFP) where such an example would likely be the responsibility of the Lot Owner to repair.

Carole Bankier On June 11, 2018 | Reply

I am in an apartment complex 15 units and water has come down through apartment upstairs into mine below when there is heavy rain I have had my apartment looked at by a plumber and been told no water coming in from my apartment Is it now up to the owner above to sort the problem out and is it covered by body corp insurance

    SSKB On June 20, 2018 | Reply

    Hi Carole,
    Water damage may only be covered by a Body Corporate Insurer as an insurance claim once.

    Insurers will require proof that the cause of the leak has been rectified before any payout for damage caused. If the Body Corporate Committee will not, or have not, initiated any rectifications because the leak originates or originated from within a Lot to which they are unable to investigate, then we suggest that as an Owner your best approach may be to commence a dispute application with the neighbouring Lot Owner, seeking them to rectify the water issue. Before you commence such a formal dispute however, we suggest written correspondence as well as a verbal request is the approach which would probably achieve the best and more timely response. Only after this should you commence any formal dispute process which can take several months.

vesna stankovic On July 23, 2018 | Reply

Hi, i live in a strata unit in NSW and there is water leaking from a pipe in an interenal wall between (one above the other) two units. My unit has some water damage to the ceiling and the water is still leaking, this is an ongoing issue for the last 3 years. the unit above me has had some waterproofing done which stopped the leak for a while but it has started up again. Strata says that it is not their issue even though they have not sent out a licensed plumber to check, they want to send someone from the body corporate who is NOT plumber to assess the issue. Do i have to have him on my premises, and if this is an insurance issue what type of insurance do i need as i thought i was covered by strata insurance.


    SSKB On July 25, 2018 | Reply

    Hello Vesna,
    This is a complex problem and without the full background, we are unable to provide specific advice. Our recommendation would be to seek Department of Fair Trading Assistance.

Michael Leal On August 16, 2018 | Reply

my apartment in Melbourne of which i am a owner, I had my car damaged in the basement parking lot
by a plumbing company when a waste pipe burst causing acid to go over my car, Before it burst they placed acid cleaner in the pipework then under a pressure plunger they tried to free the blockage i suppose this cause the pipe to burst . The apartment they were working in on the ground floor all their pipework go down into the basement where the car parking is and the pipe that broke away is over the top of my car this in turn put acid all over the car causing paintwork damage also various fittings.
The plumbing company stated that its a bodycorp insurance claim this i did but rejected it saying its the plumbing company’s claim they refuse to make a claim, and stated to make a claim though my insurance which i rejected. I also sent a letter to the agents of the apartment they were working in and put the claim back to the managing agents or landlord of the apartment both rejected and stated not their problem. MY CAR IS FAIRLY NEW IS THEIR ANYBODY THAT CAN ADVICE OF WHAT NEXT ALL ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED or where do i stand.

Natalie On October 3, 2018 | Reply

Hi, my unit in a NSW strata block has a leak in the ensuite. A plumber has told me the collar pan needs replacing. Is this my personal cost or will strata OC cover this repair?

    SSKB On October 4, 2018 | Reply

    Hi Natalie,
    As you within your unit are the only owner / resident to utilise this toilet, this is your responsibility to replace and not the Owners Corporation.

    We hope this answers your query.

Vanessa On December 3, 2018 | Reply

Hello, I’m in QLD and in August of this year the unit below mine (investment property) was damaged due to water escaping from my bath/shower waste water pipe. The bathroom has never been modified (other than the vanity being replaced in February of the same year) and the fibreglass bath was never constructed with a concrete (or other) support to prevent movement when used. Due to this lack of support, using the bath/shower has caused the bath to flex while the waste pipe is sationary, forcing the connections to loosen and separate in turn causing water to escape and penetrate the unit below. Also due to this lack of bath support, a crack has formed in the base of the bath no doubt contributing to the damage caused to the unit below. Currently a temporary fix is in place – the crack is sealed with sealant and the pipes have been tightened, however as per my plumbers invoice, this is not a permanent fix and the bath needs to be replaced. To do this the whole bathroom needs to be ripped up so that it can be waterproofed and the bath replaced. On brief discussion with my building (and property) manager, he seems to be under the impression this is my issue, however I beg to differ based on the construction errors. I’m looking at over $12k to do all of this. Can you please advise??

    Emma Smith On December 21, 2018 | Reply

    Good morning Vanessa,

    Thank you for these details which provide a good basis for a response.
    We have to agree with your Building / property Manager in that this appears to be an issue for you as the Lot Owner to rectify. The reason for this is that the bath / bathroom is a private facility only utilised by you and is not shared with any other Lot Owner, alternatively it may be a Body Corporate issue.
    However, as you have identified some questionable structural support for the bath tub, this raises the question about a Builders warranty of 6 years and 3 months on structural aspects to the Building. Some outstanding details for you to asses are, 1. The age of the scheme; 2. Is this a structural matter.
    Without specific knowledge or reports from an independent building inspector we cannot determine if this is, or is not a structural matter which could form the basis on a claim against the Builder.

    We are sorry we could not provide you with a definitive response, however we hope this has provided some direction or assistance in this matter.


David On December 4, 2018 | Reply

Wet paint has dripped from the balcony of another residence in my building onto the bonnet of my car parked in private strata parking.

Can I lodge a claim with Strata to repair this as whoever was responsible for this is no longer there.

    Emma Smith On December 21, 2018 | Reply

    Good afternoon David,

    Damage to vehicles while on common property is not uncommon and can be caused by many causes. The typical Body Corporate insurance policy covers the nominated building (bricks & mortar) and common property up to the nominated value of sum insured. As the Body Corporate does not own the vehicle, it cannot insure for damage to the vehicle. Any claim on an insurance policy would need to be undertaken by the Owner of the vehicle, however when you nominate the cause of the damage you would note that paint came via the Body Corporate common property following some repainting works that had been undertaken by…. (nominate who the painting contractor was)…..

    We have observed on some occasions where the vehicle Insurance company has then sought damages from the Body Corporate and or the Painting Contractor. This approach would mean that you were liable for the excess on your policy.

    Alternatively, we suggest a direct approach by you to the person(s) who caused the paint to drip may be a quicker, less costly solution to you.

    We hope this has provided you with some assistance and we welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter or any other Body Corporate matters with you if you require further obligation free advice.

Deborah Hadley On December 11, 2018 | Reply

Hi and I hope you can help. Mum owns a strata titled unit in Berwick Victoria and due to subsidence, we believe, as the unit is “sinking”. You can feel the tilt internally and there’s quite a bit of resultant damage to plasterwork and now she cannot even utilize the back door, and some windows are sticking. Exterior brickwork is also showing major signs of distress.
Would this be covered under the OC insurance?

Rosemary On December 15, 2018 | Reply

I have a sliding door which was damaged in the storm on 28/11 it became jammed. And the glass panel cracked . I was locked out on my balcony and had to get a locksmith to get me in . He said the sliding door was damaged etc by the heavy rain causing it to jam and possibly cracked . I have been told it’s covered by body corporate building insurance but the strata managers have referd it to the starta committee I have heard nothing after 2 weeks ,quite stressful. If I was trapped in my unit by fire it would pose a safety issue , I cannot access my balcony . I wear the cost of the locksmith as he had to get in to get me off the balcony but not the sliding door which was damaged by the storm .

    Emma Smith On December 17, 2018 | Reply

    Good afternoon Rosemary,

    We write in response to your enquiry regarding your damaged sliding door and we have made the assumption that your building is located within QLD and the Body Corporate is registered under the Body Corporate and Community Management Act (BCCMA) QLD.

    We empathise with the delay you are experiencing from your current Strata Manager and wonder why this may be an issue for the Committee.

    We identify that there may be some non-apparent issues that are causing a delay in this matter progressing to a resolution. However, a quick phone call from your Strata Manager to keep you up to date would keep you informed of the progress on this matter. These major issue could relate to the type of plan that your Body Corporate is registered under – A. Building Format Plan (BFP) or B. Standard Format Plan (SFP);

    I raise this, as a scheme registered under a SFP may require the individual Lot Owner to insure their property. The cracking of glass during an insurable event like a storm is a valid claim for glass replacement on either the Body Corporate Insurance Policy (for a BFP) or on an Owners Insurance Policy, however if the damage to the track is caused due to deterioration over time, then that aspect of the repair may not be claimable under insurance. The call out for the Locksmith should also be a claimable item.

    We hope this has provided some clarity for you.


Amanda On December 19, 2018 | Reply

I have a unit in Qld. I was unaware that water had been leaking through tiles around the bathtub in my unit, and as a result, there was minor damage to the ceiling of the unit below – requiring a small paint job.
The Body corporate is now asking me to pay the $330 (it’s under excess so won’t be claimed on insurance) Is this right? Should body corporate cover it?

Amanda On December 19, 2018 | Reply

Following up from my previous comment – also wanted to advise that I had a plumber look at the problem in my unit as soon as I was made aware – and we had the bathroom water proofed and re-tiled within a month of this occurring.

renae On January 5, 2019 | Reply


Recently moved into a townhouse we just purchased. noticed a leak in the garage from the shower vent, so had capenter/plumber out to look at it.
Upon further investigation – he noted that the shower had not been installed correctly – and that water was leaking out and rotting the floorboards underneath and into the hall cupboard. So we will need to take out shower, rip out floor boards and replace, then replace shower.

Will this be covered under body corporate insurance?

    Emma Smith On January 21, 2019 | Reply

    Good afternoon Renae,

    We write in response to your comments regarding the leaking shower. Body Corporate and any insurance coverage is for events that create a loss or damage, leaking water and subsequent damage is something that happens over time and is not due to a single event or point in time, so we are sorry to advise to suggest that the subsequent damage is not an insurable event. However, you should discuss this with the Body Croporate Insurer to verify this position and to establish if any exploratory costs could form part of an insurance claim.

    We hope this has provided some clarity on this matter for you.

Barry Wilson On April 22, 2019 | Reply

My wife and I own one of thirty stand alone units in Carrum Downs, Victoria.
I find the general information that you can find through internet searches a little bit short on detail, regarding what is and what is not covered in your owners corporation building insurance.
Can you please advise if the following are considered as part of the building or attached to and are therefore covered by our insurance.
I might add they have all been added by the owners and are not part of the original build.
Evaporative system cooling.
Solar panels and inverter.
Timber decking around part of the building.
Split system air conditioning where the compressor is on the outside of the building.
They are all attached to the building in some way or other.
Kind Regards Barry Wilson.

    Emma Smith On April 30, 2019 | Reply

    Hi Barry,
    Most information online is short on detail and can be quite vague. This is because there are so many variables with each insurance policy.
    What’s covered under the insurance policy, depends on the individual policy wording and the relevant inclusions.
    Our advice would be to get in touch with your insurance broker to discuss the specific inclusions in your Owners Corporation insurance policy.
    Kind regards,

Mikey On September 10, 2019 | Reply

I live in an apartment block in Sydney, where my car is parked in the building’s underground car park. Over a period of time, my car has been damaged by rats from the building’s nearby garbage area. I have been informed that my comprehensive car insurance does not cover acts of rodent. Is it possible that the building’s Body Corporate could be liable for the damage to my vehicle, due to their failure to adequately protect against rodents?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.