The new Body Corporate and Community Management (BCCM) Regulation Modules in Queensland have been a hot topic amongst strata communities in Queensland since being announced on 29 September 2020. On 1 March 2021, the legislation came into effect.
The new regulations relate primarily to recommendations made by the Queensland University of Technology (QUT) about Body Corporate procedural issues and have been made to modernise Body Corporate procedures, reduce Body Corporate costs and enhance protection for unit owners.
Changes for meetings
Under the new legislation, there are several changes to meetings. We have summarised below:
- Committee Meeting Attendance: You can now attend committee meetings electronically (through video conference such as Zoom). Attending meetings electronically was never forbidden, however the new legislation confirms that it is an acceptable method of attendance. Electronic voting is now included under the new BCCM regulations.
- Lot Owner Representative: Lot owner representatives can now attend committee meetings however, they are required to provide 24 hours’ notice to the Secretary of the Body Corporate.
- Defect Motion: The Body Corporate must include a motion on the agenda of its second Annual General Meeting to decide if the building will have a building defects assessment completed.
- General Meeting Quorum: A Body Corporate can change the number of voters required for a quorum for general meetings. This can range between 10% and 25% of the number of voters.
- Owner Motions: Lot owners may now submit motions for the first annual general meeting and motions for consideration at committee meetings.
At SSKB we care about of clients. We want to ensure all lot owners are equipped with the knowledge to live harmoniously in their strata community. Click here to contact the team today!
If you would like more information on the amendments, click on the links below:
- Body Corporate and Community Management (Accommodation Module) Regulation 2020
- Body Corporate and Community Management (Commercial Module) Regulation 2020
- Body Corporate and Community Management (Small Schemes Module) Regulation 2020
- Body Corporate and Community Management (Specified Two-lot Schemes Module) Amendment Regulation 2020
- Body Corporate and Community Management (Standard Module) Regulation 2020