So, you’re planning on purchasing a beautiful new pet. The idea of being able to live with a furry friend is an exciting prospect. However, no matter what type of animal it is, be it a dog, cat, bird, if you are living in a Body Corporate property, you will be subject to an approval process before you can keep a pet in your Lot.
Most Body Corporate communities have by-laws which put specific conditions on animal visitors and residents. This is to enhance the enjoyment and occupation of those residents in the community and to ensure that your pet does not become a nuisance to anyone.
No one wants to give up their pet but on the other hand, no one wants to live in a noisy, unruly strata community. Bodies Corporate have to achieve a balance with pet applications.
Below, we share with you 6 tips to consider for pet ownership in strata living.
6 Tips To Consider For Pet Ownership In Strata:
- Pet alone time: How long will your pet be left alone for in the day? How will your animal cope? How will you ensure your animal will feel settled and content when left alone?
- Pet outdoor space: Will your pet have access to outdoor space? If there is little to no space for your pet to exercise will this be an issue? If so, your pet will need to be taken out regularly to exercise.
- Pets noise level: How will you ensure your pet’s noise level eg. bark, meow, chirping, is low to not disturb other residents. What will your pet’s noise transfer be like?
- Pet toiletry requirement: What are your pet’s toileting requirements? How will you keep your lot clean? How will you clean up after your pet in a way to not disturb other residents.
- Pet living space requirement: Consider how much living space your pet needs. Different animals have different requirements for living space. Different breeds have different personalities and requirements for living space.
- Common Property: Be wary with your pet in common property areas. Keep your pet under control and minimize confrontation with other people and pets.
Process For Applying for a Pet Approval:
The process for applying for a pet in a Strata scheme involves submitting a pet application form. When submitting the form you will be required to outline details of your pet including age, breed, council registration etc. This form will be submitted and reviewed by the committee. At SSKB applying for pet applications is quick and easy! You simply create an online form that can be filled out and signed digitally.
You can also download, fill out, sign and submit a pet application through our SSKB App. This can be done anywhere. We’ve invested in an app to ensure you receive hassle free Strata management.
As the holiday season has just passed, if you are considering purchasing a new pet, and you live in a Strata scheme, make sure to click on the form below for QLD pet application form.
As previously mentioned, each Strata Scheme has different by-laws regarding pets so you must ensure you read your own by-laws. If you aren’t able to find these by-laws your Community Manager will be able to provide this information.